Thursday, February 23, 2012

Can I replace the charcoal canister on my honda myself?

I own a 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid, the engine stutters a little bit when i am light on the gas pedal. The check engine light is on. I think this is a sign of bad ventilation of the fuel system, I looked up the cost of the charcoal canister and it's $130, man Can i fix this myself on the streets of queens.Can I replace the charcoal canister on my honda myself?First of. Charcoal canister very...very..very seldom go bad, unless it is damaged due a accident or so.In my experience charcoal canisters last a lifetime of a car.

Check these cheap things first:

@Check your spark plugs and replace them. The life of a spark plug in a newer car is about 60.000 miles, unless your car smokes and the spark plugs foul out. 2-3 $ each.

@Check your vacuum hoses. Usually a leak in a vacuum hose will make the engine run a higher idle. Spray the connections of the vacuum hoses with a cheap carburetor cleaner, if you have a leak the engine RPM will get lower or change the RPM if the carburetor cleaner enters the hose. Be patient and pray a lot at each connection, it may take some time for the carburetor cleaner to reach the engine.

@Check your air-intake hose.It has to be air tight. On newer cars a loose air-intake hose will give the computer a false reading and the engine could run rough or even stall.

@Check your spark plug wires. At night open the hood and the car running, you may see sparks flying along the spark plug wires. With car not running check the spark plug boot, make sure the plug wire is tight on the spark plug and ignition coil( some times it may feel and look tight while it is not all the way seated) .15-40 $ a spark plug set.

@Check your distributor and rotor if you have one.

@check your exhaust. If it smells like rotten eggs after the engine is completely warmed up, your oxygen sensor may be bad and may need to be replaced ( but, replace spark plugs first). It is located somewhere along the exhaust system.

@The throttle position sensor could also be bad.

All those things could make your engine light come on.



What does a Charcoal canister do?

After you turn the engine of it will store gasoline fumes from the gas tank and the engine in a plastic container filled with charcoal. When you start the engine those gasoline fumes will be returned to the engine to be burned.



A car without a charcoal canister would have no differences on performance, than a car with a charcoal canister, unless there is a vacuum leak. It is a federal offense to remove a charcoal canister unless you replace it with a new one.



You may want to get a ' Haynes Manual ', Auto parts stores should carry them. 15 $

autozone.com have repair section on there website for free.

Or use your friend google.Can I replace the charcoal canister on my honda myself?If your sure that is causing the problem then go ahead and replace it. If you have any doubt get it checked by someone (maybe a friend, mechanic is last resort).Can I replace the charcoal canister on my honda myself?You could go to your local library and find a repair manual on your vechile. You will be able to tell if you can do it from that.

No comments:

Post a Comment