Thursday, February 23, 2012

Do I need to also change transmission filter in 06 honda civic?

I have a 2006 honda civic with 52,000 miles on it. I am going to change the transmission fluid. But I heard I don't have to change the filter because they last a lot longer and rarely need changing. Is this true? Also, What are the 10 most IMPORTANT types of service you need to do on a car?Do I need to also change transmission filter in 06 honda civic?You don't have to change the filter because it doesn't have one that you can change. (It has a filter, but its internal to the transmission and is not a 'servicable item')



Honda recommends 100,000 miles as the interval to change the fluid. Use only the Honda Hondamatic fluid if you do change it. Most dealers suggest you do a 'drain and refill' which will only change about 1/3 of the fluid be done at 60,000 miles. In no case should you do a "transmission flush" as that incudes chemicals into the transmission which could damage the internal seals.



On my own cars, I do a drain and refill every 30k but I don't drive more than 10k per year so its every 3 years for me.



hope that helpsDo I need to also change transmission filter in 06 honda civic?The guys above me is correct. Dont worry about the filter in the tranny. Seriously. DONT WORRY ABOUT THAT FILTER. It doesnt filter the way it sounds or the way you think it does. HONESTLY dont think about it. That filter will be fine for a long time.



TOP 10 Services on a car:

1) Oil changes every 4 to 5k miles (synthetic oil is better and offers better protection but cost more)

2) Spark plugs

3) Air Filter (get a K%26amp;N drop in. They are about $80 but once you have 1 you never need another 1)

4) Antifreeze (dont really worry about this too much. Rarely does it need to be changed)

5) Water Pump and Timing Belt (if one of these 2 goes always replace both of them)

6) TIRE PRESSURE ( check your tire pressure once a week )

7) Alignments (every 9k miles or more is not bad)

8) Windshield Wiper fluid. (i use plain water. its better on the paint)

9) Make sure your spare tire is full of air 55 to 60lbs of pressure once a month. (it leaks trust me)

10) Dont forget your Fuzzy Dice ;)



LIsten, when it comes to the tranny, IF IT AINT BROKE THEN LEAVE IT ALONE! Good Luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment